Class Cancellation and Campus Closing Policy
Severe winter weather may come in many forms consisting of snow, ice, and wind. Generally, each one individually does not result in the cancellation of classes but occasionally the severe combination of all three may cancel classes or possibly close a campus.
Our students are being trained to work in our communities. Businesses rarely close to due weather related issues. Davenport will rarely close or cancel classes.
Time of Decision
- Morning cancellations will be announced by 6:00 AM
- Afternoon cancellations will be announced by 10:00 AM
- Evening cancellations will be announced by 3:00 PM
- The recommendation to cancel classes or close a campus will be made by the campus leader along with advice from academic leadership
- Information regarding the conditions of the weather can generally be determined by contacting Facilities or Public Safety who may be on site. Use of the internet is also encouraged for weather information. There is an expectation that the recommendation be made with the help of others.
- In the chart below, you can find criteria that can be used to make this recommendation. These criteria will be used to explain to faculty, staff and students why classes were cancelled. This information will also be tracked by Public Safety to help obtain an understanding under what conditions classes are generally cancelled so decisions can become easier in the future.
|Current length of storm||4 or more hours|
|Additional anticipated storm length||4 or more hours|
|Strength of wind||21 mph or more|
|Wind chill||-30 degrees|
|Current snowfall||8 inches or above|
|Future anticipated snowfall||4 inches or above|
|Area colleges/universities closed||Yes|
|Roads closed by State Police||Yes|
- A request to cancel classes will be given to the Director of Public Safety by the Campus Leader. This request will contain details related to the above chart. The Director of Public Safety will contact the VP of Facilities Management by 5:30 AM with bullet points about the weather conditions of the affected campus. The EVP of Academics/Provost will be contacted on a consultant basis as time allows to provide input on class cancellation. The EVP of Student Affairs will contact the President for final approval.
- The process to close a location will be the same as above, however the EVP of Student Affairs, VP of Facilities Management & Public Safety, and EVP of Academics/Provost must concur with the decision before the President is contacted.
Questions and Complaints
- Questions and complaints from faculty, staff or students regarding the decision to cancel, or not cancel, classes or close a campus should be emailed to the Chief of Public Safety for Davenport University.