Skip to main content
Tornado Drill Checklist
- Information about severe weather will be given to the campus community if known in advance.
- A Tornado Watch is the time to review emergency action plans and determine the nearest tornado shelter.
- Tornado shelter plans will be posted in each classroom.
- During a tornado watch, one person will be designated to monitor the weather by computer or weather radio.
- When the community siren is activated or information is obtained through computer monitoring that there is a Tornado Warning, faculty and staff will move students to the appropriate tornado shelters.
- DU Alert will be activated for the individual campus that has the tornado warning. The following are individuals who can access and activate the DU Alert system:
- Jackie Martinez
- Juan Torres-Garcia
- There will be monitoring equipment in a designated shelter to determine the completion of the warning.
- Do not use elevators and stay away from windows.
- Seek indoor shelter immediately if possible.
- Parked motor vehicles are unsafe and not advisable, seek indoor shelter.
- If an indoor shelter is not available and there is not time for escape, lie flat in a ditch or low spot.