Insurance Coverages


All auto accidents, regardless of type of accident or fault, must be reported to Public Safety Risk Management the DU Driver’s

To complete a Report of Vehicle Accident Form, please click here

New Drivers

Any new drivers that are required to operate DU owned or leased vehicle must meet the DU

driver selection policy. Please click here to complete a new driver reporting form.


All property losses involving Davenport University-owned or leased property (buildings and/or content), regardless of the amount, are required to be reported immediately to the Office of Risk Management. Some me covered perils include the following: Fire, Lighting, Explosion, Windstorm, Hail, Smoke, Riot or civil commotion, Earthquake, Flood

Please report a property claim by contacting Risk Management

Other Property:

Property acquired during the fiscal year that stays in one place or is moved between locations

should be reported to the risk management department.

To report newly acquired property contact Risk Management

General Liability

The general liability insurance is designated for bodily injury and property damage to other people caused by the negligence of university or its employees or designated volunteers while acting within the course and scope of employment. The incidents to be reported include (but are not limited to) student or visitor incidents, personal property damage, near misses, etc. This information will be captured by Public Safety and tracked for use in investigations, as well as for reporting capabilities for the campuses. 

You are required to report any incidents (non-work related) involving faculty, staff, students, or visitors.

Please report a general liability claim by contacting Risk Management

Student Health

Davenport University requires all of its domestic student athletes and international students to have comprehensive coverage that is acceptable in the Grand Rapids, MI service area throughout the academic year.   To ensure this requirement is met, the University is pleased to provide a robust student health insurance plan (SHIP) which is an annual policy with an effective August 1st to July 31st.  Domestic Student athletes and international students are automatically enrolled in the SHIP unless verified proof of coverage is submitted by completing a waiver form at  The SHIP including a sports injury coverage rider for athletes as well.    

The SHIP plans comply fully will all the mandates of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) also known as ‘Obamacare’ legislation.  

 For additional information regarding the insurance click here.

Student and Athlete Accident Insurance

Davenport University has obtained a Blanket Athletic Accident Insurance policy in the event that a student or student-athlete is injured during a covered event and will require outside medical treatment. Coverage is excess (secondary in most situations) to all other valid and collectable insurance plans. This policy is designed to cover any remaining balances of expenses related to a covered injury/accident that are not covered by the student-athlete’s primary insurance (including co-pays, deductibles, coinsurance, etc.) and left to patient responsibility.

For additional information contact the Davenport University Athletic Department.


Study Abroad Insurance – under development